Tuesday, December 6, 2011

The Southern Yogi

Good morning Party People!

Ok so I've been saying for a few post I'd explain more about Yoga, which FYI a Yogi is someone who practices yoga. It's taken me so long to tell yall more about it because it has taken me this long to finally make my schedule work!

As a trainer I understand the need and importance of stretcthing I however find it incredible dull. After I get done workingout I usually just want to head home, not lie around touching my toes. The last few week though I've noticed I'm pretty tight in my legs...which could result in knee issues when I start to run next week. Since I'm not a fan of stretching I figured I better get into a Yoga class. I'm alot more likely to do something if I am in a class. After all thats how this whole fitness thing began.
*Side note* If you have a gym that offers classes take every class that you can. You never know what you may like. Turns out I feel in love with cycling, which all I could think of was the scene from Fever Pitch where the instructor yells at them.

When you are a trainer and work as many jobs as I do squeezing a workout is hard enough, let alone making a scheduled time is a small miracle. So last night I left job number 3 and headed over to the gym where I attacked the Beast for 45 minutes before heading over to Yoga.

It's probably been about 2 years and 40lbs heavier since I last took a Yoga class. For those who don't know there are different types of Yoga. I was hoping the yoga class I was going to was of the Hatha kind, basic, slow pace, and gentle stretching. Verses Power yoga, which I really enjoy but flows through poses to quickly get the stretching I was looking for. I lucked out, the classes ended up being of the Hatha persuasion.

I won't take you through the class but I will share what I learned.

1. I will always feel like an idiot.
2. I am incredible inflexible...not really a shocker since I don't stretch
3. My hamstrings and hip flexors are incredible tight. On poses that your heels are suppose to be on the floor mine weren't.
4. Holding the "Chair" after doing the Beast is tough. Next time no high physical cardio before yoga.
4. I enjoyed the Orchestra versions of Smooth Criminal and Welcome to the Jungle that was playing. ;)
5. I will always feel like an idiot.

I really enjoyed the class...for the most part. I don't think I will ever truly be a Yogi or look like this guy...


but if it gets me limber and a injury free runner then I will show up every once in a while...when I squeeze it in.

Till next time Namaste,
Belle

No comments:

Post a Comment