Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Harsh Reality: There are no excuses

So I totally was going to blog about a totally unrelated subject today. However, when I got to work today and pulled up the Yahoo homepage a story grabbed my attention, "Women loses 282 pounds."

My first thought was, "Which extreme path did she go with?" Lapban? No carbs of any kind? Eating only apples? Only juicing? Some company mailed her over proceeded food? You maybe thinking, eating only apples? I have known people who have seriously tried all of those diets.

I was very surprised, and even gave a little yahoo, when she said she is a WWer! When it comes to "diets" I'm not going to lie...I'm a snob. I don't think everyone HAS to be on WW. I do, however get really upset when I hear about people doing extreme measures to lose weight. It makes me mad when people have lapban, eat sodium packed food that is mailed to them, take fat burning pills, or cut out foods. Hear me when I say this, I'm sure there is are exceptions. Unless there is an endocrinological or other health issue, everyone is capable of losing weight. I think the girl in the video has proven that. She weighted over 500 pounds, couldn't even exercise in the beginning, and just by portion control lost weight.

I'm pretty sure that I've done a post on this before but New Years is around the corner and as some of you maybe considering which weight loss path to go, I thought it maybe good to cover again.


I AM NOT A DOCTOR OR REGISTERED NUTRITIONIST.  THESE TIPS ARE WHAT I'VE LEARNED FROM MY OWN WEIGHT LOSS JOURNEY AND EXPERIENCE. CONSULT A DOCTOR WHEN STARTING ANY SORT OF DIET OR EXERCISE PROGRAM.

1. EAT THE FOOD GROUPS! Before becoming a trainer I had heard of people cutting out food groups. No fat, no sugar, or no carbs. To be honest I have always thought it was a bit odd. Even when I was younger...and fat...I knew that we were meant to eat all of the food groups...it's sort of how God made us. Yes even fat...good fat...gauc anyone? When I got into training I experienced first hand "Body  Builder" diets. Basically no or suuuuuuper low carbs. I wanted to see how it works. IT SUCKED! Here is what you eat: oatmeal, rice, sweet potatoes, white fish, chicken, lean turkey, green veggies. There isn't much you can do with that list of foods seasoning wise. Eventually, you cut out the rice and sweet potato, the only carbs you are eating is your oatmeal in the morning. Let me tell ya it leaves you exhausted and crabby, which makes since because carbs is your main fuel. Did you notice the lack of fruit in the diet too? So anything that asks you to cut foods isn't healthy, not even for a few days to "jump start" the diet. I'm not to sure what needs a jump start? Your metabolism? Don't worry you will lose weight without a "jump start." There are other healthy ways to quicken your metabolism...I'll get to that in a sec.

The name of the game is portion control! Which is why I like WW, you want some pizza have...just count your points or calories...or whatever.There is no bad food, minus food made with hydrogenated oil, just food you can't eat too often. Some food is just good for the soul.

2. COOK YOUR FOOD! There are some plans out there require you to buy their food. Even one of my favorite local grab and go places, where they have organic pre-made meals, has a meal plan that does this. Here is my issue with these...you don't know how to cook healthy. You've got to learn what you like when it comes to healthy cooking. You've got to learn to not dip in for bites, for me it's when I bake, what can I say I like to lick the spoon. You've got to learn that when the recipe book says it serves 4 what that means. Those may sound odd but cook a casserole and figure out what a serving is.You can't eat their food forever.

3. LEARN TO EAT OUT!  There is always a chicken, rice, and season veggie dish at almost every restaurant...come a few months of eating basically the same dish at every restaurant in the city you will be tempted to eat more indulgent dishes. So you have to learn to portion control those indulgent dishes. Or how about those holiday parties? You go in thinking "I'll eat before." or "I'm sure they will have a healthy option." Then the yummy calorie packed food appears, what do you do? Sure eating before sounds great but let me tell you there is something about eating with friends that is good for the soul. Just like you can't live your life in the extreme of stuffing your face, you can't live in the extreme of not partaking in...life!

4. YOU WILL BE HUNGRY! I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news. There is no way of getting around this fact. No pill or special juice or chant will keep you from being hungry. You have to desire being healthy bad enough that a you are willing to go hungry.

5. WORKOUT! Ok so you don't have to workout to lose weight, it does help you lose weight faster. I won't go into all of the health benefits of working out...except that it speeds up your metabolism, in particular strength training. So when you strength train you are causing micro-trauma, little tears, to the muscle which then takes energy (ie food) to repair the muscle (ie building muscle). This doesn't take a couple hours...takes SEVERAL hours so your body is burning more calories than it would if you hadn't strength trained. Also if done correctly (and with out roids) girls don't bulk up. Talk to your local trainer for more information!

6. IT IS NOT GOING TO COME OFF FAST! You can pack on weight really quickly, getting it off...not so much. A healthy weight loss is 1-2lbs a week. Any faster you are in danger of healthy issues, we are talking internal organ issues, I have a friend who this has happened to. You are also more likely to put the weight back on if you consitantly lose more than 2lbs a week. It stinks...I know.

Losing weight isn't easy, it isn't always fun, and it isn't fast. However, it can be done...even if you are over 500 pounds. If you will excuse me I'm now going to chow down on a turkey burger and sweet potato fries...460 calories!

Till next time,
Belle

No comments:

Post a Comment