Thursday, October 27, 2011

Becoming a Finisher

On a wall in my parents' garage is a dozen or so Finisher medals and race bibs. We are talking several half and full marathons; Houston, Marine Corps, and White Rock. There is even a bright yellow bib from Sun Mart's Century Endurance Trail Run, a 100 miler through the woods of Huntsville State Park. All of them belonging to my 63, in Janurary, father. All of them highly impressive to the girl who has yet to compelte a 5K.

Dad and I after my first Cycle ride

My dad spent 20 years in the Marine Corp and being forced to run. So when he retired so did his running shoes. However, 11 years later at the age of 46, dad laced up his running shoes and hit the pavement. His marathon PR being in the four hour range, which for those who don't know is slow. Dad isn't built for speed, he is what is known in the running world as a "Plotter."

The thing that I admire about my dad's running career is that even though he maybe a Plotter, he is at least a Finisher...and he has the medal and the bibs to prove it. I, on the other hand, get discrouaged at the slightest bump in the training road. Whether my liagitament knee issues or my mental block with running, what I like to blame on my "Fat Girl Mentality"; I have yet to complete a race. 

My last attemept to join the running commuity came to a screetching hault 2 months ago. I was on attempt number three to run...

However, at a staff volleyball game I landed on my knee twice without any knee pads. I wound up with Platella Fasciitis, fancy term meaning the tendon from my knee to my femur was strained. I must admit I am not the best of Finisher...of anything. The refinishing of my dresser...in the parentals' garage half way sanded. Dozens of books halfway read. Learning spanish...sign langauge. The list goes on.

I don't know if it's stubberness or my inner runner crying to get out but I have the fever...for more running. I want at least one finisher medal and bib to hang some where. I want to say that I conquered my mental block of running. I'd like to be able to say, "Yea I ran three miles this morning." I want my Runner's Story...like how I pushed through the rain with a big toe bleeding while a dog chasing me to finish my run. I want a PR...even if it is really slow and my best time is just crossing that finish line. I want to say I am a runner.

So going on attempt number 385,0276,504 I will be training. Forget the Half Marathon...give me a simple 5K. I don't even have a 5K picked out, no goal date pressure. I just want to run. When I can run my favorite 3 mile loop then I'll look for a 5K to run. I also want to find a running group and since I will be in the city now it might be easier.

Maybe this Skinny Southern Belle will finally become the Running Skinny Southern Belle.

What have you never been a Finisher at? What has held you back from crossing the finish line?

1 comment:

  1. Hey girl! Found your blog from Facebook. There are two fun 5K's coming up within the city - Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving Day & the Jingle Run in December! I think those would be a great run for you.

    I finished a 10 miler for the very first time in the Woodlands a couple of weekends ago and impressed even myself. It makes it a lot easier if you go run RIGHT after work :) I generally run Memorial Park and sometimes Hershey Park (it's got great trail running!) Good luck with your progress!!

    ReplyDelete